Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Andrew Shannon

The Most Critical Rescues of My Guarding Career

By Andrew Shannon

August 9th, 2004

Laguna Beach

I was the regular Victoria weekend guard in 1981, '82 and '83 and again after a hiatus in '87 and '88.

During the years I worked there I got to know many of the long time locals. I don't know if any of you ever knew Joe Coffee, but he was a great old guy. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday he would lug his chair and umbrella along with the latest issue of sports illustrated down the ramp. He'd spend the afternoon reading and always went for a swim unless the surf was really large.

He was in his eighties and set an example that I'll always try to remember.

The Victoria tower sits almost on the city line. To the right is Victoria beach proper. The guard is responsible for the water and also the beach and ordinance enforcement. To the left is Lagunita, a "private" beach where dogs and alcohol were allowed. You ignored the beach but ended up guarding the water. One weekend in July or August of 1981(?) it was hot and the surf was solid. It was red flag and the beach was packed. If you've seen Victoria on a big day, you know the rips stack up on wet sand and literally grab inattentive people right off of the beach.

I had just rescued a little girl out of one of those rips to the left of the tower.

It was one of the most critical rescues of my guarding career and I was exhilarated. After carrying the girl back up the beach to her grateful parents and a round of spontaneous applause from the beach goers, I was back on the tower toweling off. Then I noticed him. He was standing on the wet sand a bit South of where I'd rescued the little girl. There was a small set coming in and he started back up the beach. At first I thought he was going to make it on his own but then I realized he needed help. I checked the water to make sure everyone else was okay and started in his direction. The water was piling up on his uphill side. He started jumping and dolphining up stream but lost his footing and started to roll like a hot dog in one of those cookers at a movie theatre. It was just then that I reached him. The water was five or six inches deep and he was one worried Dachshund.

I plucked him out and carried him up to dry sand and more applause than I'd received for rescuing the little girl.

--- Andrew Shannon


.

No comments:

Post a Comment