Thursday, May 3, 2012


Don W. Bestor

August 8, 2005

When we had the reunion in 2004 I had asked everyone attending to send me a letter that described some aspect of their guarding experience.  This is Don’s letter to Dale Ghere.

At the time of this letter Don was a Farmers Insurance salesman in Laguna Beach.

-----------------------------------

Dale,

I started my life guarding career (2years) in 1953 after graduating from Laguna High.  I was hire by Mr. May who had an ambulance service in Laguna.

I mainly worked at St. Anns and Crescent Bay.  I grew up at Crescent Bay and became good friends with Bob Lowell the current life guard in 1946.

In 1953 we had a basic metal lifeguard stand with a phone and a small first-aid kit.  I only needed the phone once for an emergency when a young boy was hit by a wave when he was on a rocky point at Crescent Bay.  We rang the Main Tower for help.

Sunburn came when I used Noxema to protect my nose and face.  I soon learned that when Noxema wears off the skin is very tender and burns very fast.  I then went to a lady’s facial make-up to cover my skin.  I only had minor scaring, but no skin cancer.

Our trunks were red with white patch and we had no vehicles to use.  I also picked up trash and seaweed.  Sometimes I dug holes to put the seaweed in.  We all made an extra effort to rake the front of the Laguna Riviera Hotel at St Anns.

I was going to life guard in 1955 when they started a more extensive test.  The test was in May and we had to swim from the Main Beach to the Coast Inn.  I went to the local gas station and used their lube grease to cover my body and made the swim.  We also had to run a distance and enter the water and carry a person out.  I didn’t guard in 1955.

I hope this helps you out.

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment