Thursday, May 3, 2012


Did I Really Say That?

By Charlie Ware
April 18, 2012


Robbie Potter’s story exposing some of the funnier sides of lifeguarding sparked a rather interesting statement I made after a cold water rescue I had back in 1972. Great stories Potsy!
I eagerly waited for that phone call each weekend to get some lifeguard fill in hours from any of the permanent guards in the off season. Living in Laguna and going to college close by, allowed me to work fairly regularly most winters. The money kept me afloat until the steady money came in working almost non-stop every day each summer. Great gig for sure.
Jim Stauffer called me early one late February morning with just a “wanna work” dead pan voice. It was like music to my ears and even though it had rained hard the day before, I didn’t care what was on the LBLG agenda that day. The forecast called for a cool, clear and “breezy” day and I was sure that would keep everyone out of the mid 50’s winter water. As I arrived at HQ, Jim said we had a few maintenance projects to do and that this was a perfect day to get them all done. By noon we had a lot crossed off our list and the wind picked up to about 25 knots. The angry seas were both beautiful and treacherous. It looked like the San Francisco Bay out there. A call that a sailor has capsized his catamaran off of Irvine Cove came in and both Jim and I raced for the unit. As we blasted Code3 down Coast Hwy, the already cold wind biting at my face in our open air jeep, I was reminded that this why we trained in cold condition environs.
As we hit the top of the stairs at Irvine Cove we looked out at the 6- 8 ft. wind chopped waves to see a single sailor attempting to right his 16 ft. catamaran at least 500 yards off shore. Jim simply said, “Go help him and tell him this is not a good day for this.” By now the wind was at its peak and the water temp had plummeted. With no wet suit and just my tube and fins, I charged into the water at first not really feeling the cold, but after a few strokes, my head started pounding and it was all I could to swim head up to keep an eye on the craft and the victim. By the time I had arrived, the sailor who was wet suited head to toe, was in the water trying desperately to right the boat. He seemed determined to finish his adventure and after I dove down to un-cleat the sail we were able to right the boat together. Now, the cold temp was starting to take affect. I had planned to hitch a ride back to the beach with him, but he hitched- up quick and he was gone before I could climb aboard. The wind was blowing even harder now and he hit the beach in no time. By this time, I had drifted almost to Emerald Bay and I debated weather I should go with the flow and swim in at the north end of E-Bay or gut it out back to Irvine Cove. I knew first stage hypothermia had set in and I had to get moving fast. I took the shortest route towards Irvine Cove and battled the current most the way. When I hit the beach I was shaking like leaf and I couldn’t feel my hands or feet. Growing up and surfing in Laguna I had experienced this many times and thought nothing of it. I climbed the stairs to Jim standing next to the unit with that classic Stauffer grin. He threw me a towel and my light jacket and said,” Nice job, was it cold out there?” He laughed loudly as we headed back towards City Hall where the Police Dept. showers really worked best. The heat of those showers was all I could think of while we sped through town. Jim all the while, still chuckling as we recounted the rescue along the way. As we approached the intersection of Forest Ave. and Glenneyre we stopped for a very attractive gal crossing the street. As she crossed near my side of the jeep we made eye contact and I blurted out, “Wanna take a shower?”
I have no idea what made me say this. Perhaps the hypothermia had affected my judgment or she was just that cute, but Jim burst out laughing again. The good natured gal just smiled and continued on. I’m sure today I would have been severely disciplined for that remark. It was truly a great time to be a LBLG.

No comments:

Post a Comment