Thursday, June 30, 2011

First Rescue

Note for: Dale Ghere

June 23, 2004

From: Bob Likins

Subject: Laguna Beach Lifeguard Reunion

Thank you for writing me about the LBLG reunion. I heartily agree with your “Once a lifeguard always a lifeguard.” I have an event to attend in San Jose on September 1 but I hope to join you at the reunion on September 2.

Personal Information

Bob Likins

I guarded the summers and spring vacations of 1965-66-67-68-69. Starting pay was $2.20 per hour. I guarded primarily at Emerald Bay but during spring breaks guarded wherever needed including Crescent Bay and Main Beach.

Short Story - - First Rescue

In the spring of 1965 after passing the initial lifeguard test I was doing the practical training that would lead to final lifeguard selection. One overcast Saturday at the start of this training, I was assigned the beach just north (towards Newport) from Rock Pile and south of Boat Canyon. Naturally, even though there weren’t many people around, I was a bit nervous sitting on a tower for the first time.

I am ready in my trunks, sweatshirt and sun glasses with fins at my side and I am keeping a close eye on all going on, which is little. Suddenly from the north end of the beach, up on a condo porch overlooking Boat Canyon, someone is screaming that a man got knocked off the rocks down below and is in the water. It’s cool weather and cold water but that’s why they pay us the big bucks!

A quick call to the main tower and off I run with my fins and rescue buoy. When I get around the rocky cliff I notice the blowhole at the base and it is blowing pretty hard due to the surf and tide. The people on the balcony keep yelling, “man in the blowhole” and I see that a 20 something year old guy is in the water about 20 yards off the rocks. He has been knocked into the blowhole and sucked out into open water.

On with the fins and into the water I go, not even noticing the temperature. I speak with the guy and he is pretty scared and carved up a bit by the mussels lining the blowhole. I present him the buoy, tell him I am taking him around the rocks and into the beach, and do so, helping him out of the water on the beach. By that time the lifeguard lieutenants have arrived and note my rescue. The guy is approaching shock so we wrap him in a blanket and talk with him. He is a young Marine getting his training at Camp Pendleton. After first aid for the cuts and warming up he stops shaking and is ready to go.

I was the only one with a rescue during our entire spring training session so I figured that helped me get the job as a LBLG and I know it made me feel great. This job’s for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment