Thursday, December 19, 2013

Lifeguard at 73


I know I live across the street from my dad for a reason. It is because I get to see him be the hero and lifeguard I know him to be. 

Today he saved a life. For real. Like a lifeguard. Always ready, always thinking of what he would do if danger happened. He reacted. Immediately and without regard for his own life. 

I remember his story as a young lifeguard of rescuing a kid off a cliff and then realizing how close he was to death himself. It seems to be something that happens to him. Saving lives and missing death for both of them. 

A flash back. A different time and story.... 
That baby back then was in front of that wheel just like Henry was today but today dad and Henry were both saved. A little scratch. But not death for either one. 

My dad saw someone die when he was very little. And he could do nothing. 
I think of seeing something like that, something we all would have changed given the chance. You and I would have changed.
I know my dad. He would have played out a life saving scenario over and over in his head, how would he have saved that little kid. Practiced it until, Until, today. He execute, he helped, he saved. 

Later he told me that the distant memory had flashed back when he saw Henry hanging on. And he relived it. In that moment. And then he changed That moment right then. And it was different, and Henry lived. The old moment was from his youth. six years old. Watching from a distance with no way of helping. A little boy died under a tire. Crushed. 

But today he saved that boy even if he was much older and a different person. And he could help and he did. His training kicked in. Like riding a bike. Run, grab, pull. Safety. 

My dad is 73. Still a lifeguard. 

What happened...
I live across the street from my dad and our good neighbor Henry was moving out and driving away on his last good buy. 

You see. Henry's driveway is uphill from my house. My dad and I were on my front walk watching him get in his rented u-haul van and drive away. 

And then it got weird. 

Henry is older than my dad 80 or so. The rented u-haul van seemed to be giving him some problems a, getting it in gear, then he stepped out, one foot.

His driveway is uphill. 

The van started rolling back but Henry was not all the way in. Henry grabbed the wheel and held on. Both feet out now, dragging. The van rolled. Backward, a little faster. He yelped. 

My dad jumped forward. 

Time slowed down. 

The car rolling back even faster now. Henry hanging onto the steering wheel feet dragging. 

A vans design puts the front wheel very close to the driver door. And if you are being dragged backward hanging onto the steering wheel your feet are almost under the front wheel. I could see, time slowing even more, clearly, Henry's feet 3 inches from the tire and dragging closer in and under. 

The van was on a slight arc I could see over my dads shoulder the wheel turning out and Henry's foot almost to catch under the wheel. I yelled "pull him out" but dad was already doing it. 

Instinct of the rescuers mind. 

Practice.

The van was rolling faster. 

Then yanking the shirt just in time dad got Henry. And the van rolled past as they both spun out of the way and hit the ground hard. Just a few scratches. 

Dad did not see it but the arc of the car turning out put dad in just as much harm, if there would have been trip or a miss both would have been crushed. 

But he did not miss. And they were both safe. 

Practice.

The van kept rolling and BAM hit the light pole. Everything stopped. 

Review
The arc of the turning car would have rolled right over Henry. Body and head. I could see it. Just like that little boy so long ago. But not this time. Dad saved Henry. 

Full of shock. Beat up and heart racing, Henry took a little rest and then maybe because it happened so fast he just got up - said thanks with a big hug and got in the dented van and drove off. And dad walked home. 
-----
I guess we did that all the time as guards. 6 foot surf, Rip rescues, back to the tower without too much thought. Dad did the same today as he has always done. Dad put his life on the line for someone else not really worrying about it. 

I know all of you know my dad, Dale, to be this person. I just thought you would like to know he is still doing great stuff and still the guy you know and love. 

Like I do. 

Thanks for being my dad and a great person to us all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Ryan Ghere

No comments:

Post a Comment