Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ryan Ghere - Choices Matter

Ryan Ghere – 9/1/04

LBLG – 1983 – 1988

I am a lifeguard because of someone I do not know. It goes something like this.

There was a man born in 1921 who lived with his family in a log cabin in Laguna Canyon. At some point he helped his family build a house at 445 Oak Street, which is where I rent now. But there is more to it.

Because of his choices and the choices of his family they built a house on Oak Street and he became a lifeguard. I do not know when the family sold it but they sold it to another lifeguard, Art Fisette. We rent from Janine Fisette (daughter of Art) now. But there is more.

Art Fisette later became the chief lifeguard and was well liked by many. Fast forward a few years to 1960. My father, Dale Ghere, was trying out for a LA pool guard position when his friend Kiwi happened to see him getting out of the pool and mentioned that there were some openings for beach guards left in Laguna Beach. Kiwi had just taken a position there. My Dad went to city hall and they directed him to 445 Oak Street to see Art Fisette. Art was pleased to greet him and invited him in to discuss the openings for lifeguard. 445 Oak Street was the first house my father set foot in, in Laguna Beach. My father passed the tryouts and became a lifeguard in 1960 and guarded until 1974. He started the rookie program.

Fast forward to 1983. I became a lifeguard in 1983 which lasted for 6 years. I had a wonderful time guarding and many great experiences including a 5 month surf trip with 3 other lifeguards.

I moved away for 12 years, I returned with my wife to be with our families and live near the beach. We have been very blessed through out the years but a huge blessing happened when we bought a little house at 479 Oak Street. The little house needed to be remodeled in order to fit our family’s needs; we needed a place to rent nearby. We found a rental at 445 Oak Street. Little did I know when I invited my Dad down to see the rental, the story he would have for me about this little beach house.

It was not until the reunion preparations that my Dad found out the extended story of whose family built the house.

I realize now how important our life choices are. Because of someone I do not know I have had the most wonderful and privileged life that ever could be lived. I have been able to enjoy and learn about the ocean, a passion that will never grow old.

It is this passion that I am now so excited to share with my three sons.

Our choices matter to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment