Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Images in the Sun - By Charlie Ware

Images in the Sun

By Charlie Ware

Started Guarding in 1969 as a Rookie

Images can inspire, motivate and sear into our memories. So many images of lifeguarding come to mind over the many summers in Laguna. But the ones that truly inspired me and helped to frame my character are the images of those that mentored me.

The quiet image of Dale Ghere standing on the beach, under his wide brimmed hat, looking out at his young crop of rookies churning feverishly towards shore. His smile and low-key demeanor always present as he taught and never criticized. Ready with a story that brought home his point. A life teacher.

The giant, brawny image of Dean Westgaard plodding down the beach. Commanding the sun to shine and the waves to behave. He dominated the scene with his stature, white hat, and determined eyes. You could see him a mile away and know that with his approach that all will be right….or else. Discipline with understanding. He grasped life and wrestled it at every turn.

The lead by example image of Jack Lincke challenging the limits of athleticism and pure ocean perfection. Paddling with incredible fight and purpose. Training harder with every water encounter. Providing a strong, supportive arm on the shoulder to guide me, not dictate. To move me towards excellence and inspiration to work harder. To do better. To be a great friend.

And the soothing wide smile of Dick Johnson. A man of few words who made it happen, by just doing it. Always with a great laugh and ever present grin that let me know it’s all going to be OK.

There are a thousand images of lifeguarding that give great joy and keep me going. Bill Brown, the ultimate waterman and party King. Tom Redwitz always doing it with style and class. And John Slowsky’s keen sense of knowing how to get the most out of life without letting it make you old before your time. They all contributed to who I am and enriched my life beyond expectation. But I will always be indebted to my mentors, “Harley D”, “Deno” and the

“Big Red Dick” for molding me into someone good and providing life long images of strength, success and……fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment