Wednesday, September 30, 2009

An Appreciation for the Sea

An Appreciation for the Sea

By - Dirk Van Deusen

July 31, 2004

Looking back over the past 50 years, it’s obvious that the ocean, and those who are drawn to it, have been the most powerful influences in my life. I was a Crescent Bay Beach Rat, sprawled out in the summer sun on the hot sand, not a care in the world except for where I’d left my fins and when the next big swell was coming. My biggest idols were my Dad, who taught me fishing, diving and bodysurfing, my Mom who always took good care of us, and the guards who sat in the big orange towers on the sand, watching over the water and the invading hordes of tourists, saving the sorry flatlanders from drowning in their ignorance of the ocean.

I joined the Junior Lifeguards and remember lectures and workouts with the late greats, Dean Westguard, Laverne Dugger and Bruce Baird, together with many other great watermen. I was lucky to have been part of the first group of rookies recruited from the high school swimming and water polo teams in an inspired effort by Dale Ghere to groom a few young local swimmers and surfers for the force. It was a great idea and as a result of going through the rookie program, I gained a new perspective on life in and around the ocean, and my responsibility to others who seek recreation within its blue sanctuary.

Everything I learned growing up in and around The Laguna Beach Lifeguard Department has carried throughout my life and into the present. I was certified in scuba diving during the rookie program and later worked as a commercial diver for abalone, sea urchin and underwater construction. I became a NAUI instructor and taught classes in resorts and on boats in Kona. I’m obsessed with swimming and don’t feel right if I can’t get in a mile swim in Kailua Bay every day. When I sit on the beach, my head auto-scans over the sand and water, looking for accidents waiting to happen and I’ve been able to assist in some situations.

My kids grew up surrounded by my oceanic addictions and have the same appreciation for the sea, although less a necessity for them as it is for me. Damon is an aspiring film director in UCLA’s graduate film program. I look forward to doing an underwater project with him sometime. Corrina is an amazing mom who’s worked in the legal profession and is now studying metaphysics. Her daughter Jillian seems to be the fish that skipped a generation and I’m looking forward to teaching her scuba diving.

Today I went fishing with Mom and Dad, like we do whenever I’m off work, if they’re not busy snorkeling or hanging out on the beach. They’re waiting for me to finish this so they can proofread it.

Looking back over the past 50 years, it becomes obvious that the ocean and the people drawn to it have been the most powerful influences in my life.

Aloha,

Dirk Van Deusen

P.S. Wish I could be in Laguna for the party. Come visit me in Kona!

No comments:

Post a Comment