Monday, August 24, 2009

A Moment in Time

Jeff Tresselt – A moment in Time

Hi Dale, here’s a highlight memory for me. 1978 salt creek lifeguard competion, 4 man paddleboard race, the swell is 6-8 feet. I'm standing by the water, pre-race. Indo Stark, Tommy Redwitz and Billy Brown, game faces on, looking down at me with a few words of encouragement. I think it went something like this. Ian, " Bro, I'll get the early lead, you just make sure you hang on to it!!! Tom, " Just keep paddling and don't look back!!! Billy didn't have to say anything his look said it all. The adrenalin is pumping; a sick feeling is welling up in my stomach. A mix of excitement and fear made my knees weak. I glance at the team next too us, Newport. Its LIncke, he catches and holds my gaze for what seemed an eternity. With a maniacal grin on his face he turns back toward his team and continues to tell them they better not let a 16-year-old rookie beat them. It was more than I could take. I didn't know whether to throw up or piss my pants, maybe I did both.

I can't even remember how it ended, but I will never forget those few precious moments of time. Those feelings of camaraderie, brotherhood and lifeguard family remain to this day. How fortunate we all are to have had an opportunity to be a part of the Laguna Beach Lifeguard Dept. I love you all.
Aloha,
Jeff Tresselt

No comments:

Post a Comment