Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Junior lifeguards Help - By Barney Voorhees

Barney Voorhees

Barnard Voorhees

1968

So…..Stories? Junior lifeguards.

I've lived a varied and most interesting life. Whether a blessing or a curse is up to interpretation. One thing is certain, however. Being a Laguna Beach Lifeguard was the best job (if not exactly the highest paying) I have ever had.

One my most exciting memories of those days coincidentally involved Junior Lifeguards. My first solo beach as a Laguna Beach lifeguard was Woods Cove. One morning, hearing that it was going to be a red flag day, I arrived at work half an hour early. I couldn't see any large waves as I stood at the top of the stairs and studied the cove below, but you knew it. The salty moisture in the air, the glassy surface of the ocean, the rolling grounds swells, more than that a certain excitement and tension in the air. You knew it was going to be a big day (and I mean BIG). Half way down the stairs I was met by the excited cries of two of the local Wood's Cove gang, Jeff and another fellow whose name I can't (forgive me) recall. Both were Junior Lifeguards. Apparently just a few minutes before my arrival a large family of Italians had arrived on the beach. The boys had tried to warn them about the danger of going out on the rocks, but had been ignored, possibly because few if any in the family spoke English.

I looked out at the blowhole horrified to see at least nine people, setting up chairs, unlimbering fishing poles, setting out coolers . . ."It's a lull," said Jeff. "There've been some twenty footers coming through." He didn't need to tell me. I could see a huge set already building outside.

Luckily I was caring my fins and Peterson. There was no time to unlock the tower. I ran waving and screaming at the people, who must have seen me. But it was too late. The first wave hit the rocks, sweeping the family away like a bowling ball hitting ten pins. Most were carried across the rocks. Others, at least four, were swept into the sea.

I ran onto the point, yelling at the ones still on the rocks, to get to safety. A second wave was about to hit. I dove into the water, grabbing up two victims just as the second wave was peaking a good hundred yards outside. Somehow we made it through, the three of us holding on to both the buoy and each other for dear life. I buckled one guy in and told the other to hang on as I swam frantically toward the beach and away from the rocks. A third wave was approaching. I knew at least two more victims were in the water but I could only handle so many. I'd get these guys to shore and go back. My worry was I might not be able to find them in the turbulence, or that I might be thrown into the rocks.

I got my two guys into the beach and was turning to go out again when, with a huge sense of relief, I looked out to see Jeff and the other Junior Lifeguard, towing in the last two victims on boogie boards. They had, without being asked, with little thought of their own safety, seen what the situation called for and gone for it.

An ambulance arrived a few minutes later. Jeff had called in the scene to Zero, which had dispatched an ambulance. Total casualties were two broken arms, numerous lacerations and abrasions, but no drownings. I don't remember if I ever told those two kids just how much I appreciated what they had done.

Barney Voorhees

Guarded 1967-1972

No comments:

Post a Comment